Director of Engineering - L&P Tech
At 2U, we are all in on purpose. We are motivated by our mission – to eliminate the back row in education – and connected by our shared passion to deliver world-class digital education at scale. As the parent company of edX, the world’s leading online learning platform, 2U powers more than 4,000 online higher education offerings – from free courses to full degrees. Together with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporate partners, we are helping to unlock human potential.
What We’re Looking For:
Lead and manage operations in our business domain, ensuring effective coordination of people, costs, and processes. Drive outcomes through our Engineering team and contribute individually to the design, implementation, and operation of business domain products.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Own production and maintain enterprise architecture.
- Collaborate with BSA’s to ensure requirements alignment.
- Translate complex requirements into operational plans and delegate tasks.
- Manage sprint lifecycle with effective time management and adherence to best practices.
- Ensure product quality, code integrity, and proactively seek improvements.
- Take hands-on responsibility for team performance.
- Set S.M.A.R.T goals, provide guidance, and conduct regular one-on-one sessions.
- Foster engagement, retain employees, and manage administrative tasks.
- Prioritize employee morale, development, and coordination for optimal performance.
- Build and grow the team through recruitment, interviews, and career planning.
Accountability for results
- Collaborate on strategic requirements and operational plans.
- Act as a subject matter expert, identify and solve potential problems.
- Own sprint planning, resource allocation, and product integrity.
- Represent the business domain in meetings and influence decisions.
Leadership and personal development
- Embody company principles and promote continuous self-improvement.
- Cultivate an inclusive and supportive work environment.
- Build relationships, coach the team, and enhance communication skills.
- Develop business acumen and establish a reputable image for the business domain.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- 7 - 10 years of web development experience with 2+ years in a supervisory or management role.
- Degree in a software development related field.
- Strong business acumen and ability to handle challenging situations.
- Navigate complexity, balance business needs, and team sentiment.
- PHP experience (Preferred)
Benefits & Culture
Our global employee base is a diverse collection of innovators, dreamers, and doers working together to transform lives through higher education. We believe that every employee can advance our shared purpose, and that life at 2U should be fun and meaningful. If you’re excited by the opportunity to provide over 40 million learners and counting with access to world-class online higher education, then join us – and do work that makes a difference. #NoBackRow
We offer comprehensive benefits (unique per country) and excellent work/life balance.
Full-time, ZA benefits include:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery Health Medical Scheme
- 4% 2U contribution towards Discovery Life Pension Fund and Group Risk Benefit
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organization, study leave, sports leave and a company-wide festive season break
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to building and sustaining a culture of belonging, respect, and inclusion. We are proud of the steps we’ve taken to bring together an employee base that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by what makes us different, as well as by how we are alike.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
For more than a decade, 2U, Inc. has been the digital transformation partner of choice to great non-profit colleges and universities delivering high-quality online education at scale. As the parent company of edX, a leading global online learning platform, 2U provides over 45 million learners with access to world-class education in partnership with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporations. Our people and technology are powering more than 4,000 digital education offerings — from free courses to full degrees — and helping unlock human potential. To learn more: visit 2U.com.
edX is the education movement for restless learners and a leading global online learning platform from 2U, Inc. (Nasdaq: TWOU). Together with the majority of the world’s top-ranked universities and industry-leading companies, we bring our community of over 45 million learners world-class education to support them at every stage of their lives and careers, from free courses to full degrees. And we're not stopping there — we're relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location. Learn more at edX.org.
Learn more at https://2u.com/careers/
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.
2U is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. 2U requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
Something looks off?