Posted on Friday, February 9, 2024
At Instructure, we believe in the power of people to grow and succeed throughout their lives. Our goal is to amplify that power by creating intuitive products that simplify learning and personal development, facilitate meaningful relationships, and inspire people to go further in their education and careers. We do this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create awesome.
We’re hiring engineers, who are passionate about technology and education, to help build and enhance the Canvas user experience.
Like our customers, we value a learning culture and expect our engineers to work closely with product and support to build the best possible solutions, not just write code to a spec. We put our money where our mouth is. Engineers at Instructure enjoy an annual company-wide tech conference, biweekly tech talks, and quarterly Hackweeks, all designed to encourage as much exploration and learning as possible.
Much of our work is open source, including our primary product (Canvas).
Check us out on Github: www.github.com/instructure.
What we do:
- We are a group of mixed frontend, backend, and full stack developers solving complex problems around learning outcomes and student mastery for a wide range of institution types across the globe.
- We’re building innovative web applications. By leveraging single-page application design, ES6, React/Redux, GraphQL, CSS3, and other cutting-edge technologies, we hope to bring the richness of native desktop and mobile apps to the web.
- We are cloud-native. For this job, that means bringing the fault-tolerant and high availability principles that power the cloud to deliver lightning-fast, ultra-reliable applications that delight our users.
Who you are:
- You’re passionate about creating thoughtful and well-executed solutions to complex problems.
- You care about the scalability and availability of services.
- You sweat the details in architecture reviews and make sure all best practices and standards are upheld before any code is pushed to production.
- You enjoy working closely with product managers, product designers, and other engineers to achieve best-in-class user experiences.
- You’re a strong mentor with the ability to set standards and encourage best practices.
What we are looking for:
- 5+ years of experience as a senior engineer or a tech lead working on low latency and highly scalable backend services, preferably in Ruby or Node.js.
- Experience in using AWS technologies including EC2, EKS, RDS, and more.
- Ability to solve complex problems requiring in-depth analysis.
- Capable communicators passionate about product development and user experience.
- A love of continual learning and exploration.
- Knowledge of, and adherence to coding best practices including a commitment to code quality with experience testing up and down the pyramid.
- BS or greater in Computer Science preferred (but definitely not required).
Get it on all the awesome at Instructure:
- A fun, friendly, and helpful company culture
- Competitive compensation
- Restricted Stock Unit Program
- Private Medicover healthcare + cafeteria plan/SZEP card
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness motivation through PandaFit
- An extra week off for the whole company every year
- Employee recognition program through Motivosity
- Goal-setting, proactive reviews, and internal training
- Employee assistance program
We’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We know that the more diverse we are, the more diverse our ideas will be and when we openly welcome those ideas, our environment is better and our business is stronger.
All Instructure employees are required to successfully pass a background check upon being hired.