Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Posted on Friday, February 9, 2024
At Instructure, we believe in the power of people to grow and succeed throughout their lives. Our goal is to amplify that power by creating intuitive products that simplify learning and personal development, facilitate meaningful relationships, and inspire people to go further in their education and careers. We do this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create something awesome. And that's where you come in.
Who we are:
- Pioneers: we are the first Instructure development center placed outside of the United States.
- On a mission: Our field is education. We strive to elevate student success, amplify the power of teaching, and inspire everyone to learn together.
- Product enthusiasts: We develop products, such as Canvas, with millions of users worldwide.
- Engineers: We love to understand what is happening under the hood. We are generalists, rather than obsessed with one language or framework
- Engineers: We love to understand what is happening under the hood. We are generalists, rather than obsessed with one language or framework. Currently, we use Node.js, React, and Ruby on Rails, but will adapt as needed.
- Cloud-native: we are one of the biggest AWS customers, everything is Dockerized, running in the cloud
- Productive: our teams have flexibility in how they work, Some use Scrum, others Extreme Programming, whichever fits best.
What You'll do:
- Lead a team of 5-9 engineers, guiding them as a technical and cultural mentor.
- Create and execute plans to achieve key results within a functional area of moderate complexity.
- Run a lean, agile value delivery operation, prioritizing high productivity and minimal waste.
- Partner closely with product and design teams, taking ownership of your area to ensure feasibility and success.
- Set a clear technical strategy, aligning team efforts with Instructure's overall goals.
- Communicate effectively across the organization, ensuring clarity and accountability.
- Build customer trust by ensuring all team outputs meet quality, availability, and security expectations.
- Hire, retain, and grow top talent, setting a high bar and managing performance diligently.
What we look for:
- 5+ years experience as a Senior Engineer or similar, with a strong technical background.
- Demonstrated leadership in a team, with skills in mentorship and culture building.
- Exceptional operational skills, with a focus on lean and agile methodologies.
- Strong partnership abilities, particularly with product and design counterparts.
- Clear communication and collaboration skills, effective within and across teams.
- Committed to customer satisfaction and service excellence.
- Ability to attract and retain strong talent, fostering growth and potential.
Get in on all the awesome of Instructure:
- A fun, friendly, and helpful company culture
- Competitive compensation
- Flexible time off
- Private Medicover healthcare + cafeteria plan/SZEP card
- Employee stock purchase program
- Wellness motivation through PandaFit
- An extra week off for the whole company every year
- Employee recognition program
- Goal-setting, proactive reviews, and internal training
- Employee assistance program
We’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We know that the more diverse we are, the more diverse our ideas will be and when we openly welcome those ideas, our environment is better and our business is stronger.
All Instructure employees are required to successfully pass a background check upon being hired.