Principal Back-end Engineer
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2024
At Instructure, we believe in the power of people to grow and succeed throughout their lives. Our goal is to amplify that power by creating intuitive products that simplify learning and personal development, facilitate meaningful relationships, and inspire people to go further in their education and careers. We do this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create something awesome. And that's where you come in.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, you will drive the technical direction of our canvas platform. We are modernizing our platform and we would love to leverage your expertise for architecting, designing and guiding our engineering organization to build scalable and maintainable solutions. You will work closely with multiple domain teams and architects in discussing architectural patterns, brainstorming creative solutions and evangelizing solutions across the entire engineering organization.
What You'll Do:
- Be a hands-on developer in tackling complex design problems and setting an example for the rest of the engineers by writing well tested, well architected and clean code.
- Strong Proficiency in Node.js and/or other languages like Ruby, Python etc.
- Prior experience in designing and launching scalable backend services and APIs using Node.js.
- Drive the technical direction of the team including the selection of technologies, tools, and frameworks.
- Mentor and coach other engineers, providing technical guidance and code reviews.
- Optimize the performance and scalability of backend services for high throughput and low latency.
- Identify and address technical debt and performance bottlenecks in the backend codebase.
- Collaborate with DevOps engineers to deploy and manage backend services in production environments.
- Collaborate with architects and other principal engineers to define the overall technical strategy of the organization and present it to VPs and other senior leadership.
What we look for:
- 10+ years of experience in backend development, with a strong proficiency in multiple programming languages, preferably Node.js and Ruby.
- Experience building scalable and maintainable backend services and APIs using Node.js.
- Deep understanding of asynchronous programming and event-driven architecture.
- Strong knowledge of databases, including relational databases (e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL databases (e.g., MongoDB, Redis).
- Strong problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- Experience leading a team of backend engineers and driving technical initiatives.
- Experience with cloud platforms preferably AWS.
- Experience with containerization and orchestration technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience with microservices architecture.
Get it on all the awesome at Instructure:
- A fun, friendly, and helpful company culture
- Competitive compensation
- Restricted Stock Unit Program
- Private Medicover healthcare + cafeteria plan/SZEP card
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness motivation through PandaFit
- An extra week off for the whole company every year
- Employee recognition program through Motivosity
- Goal-setting, proactive reviews, and internal training
- Employee assistance program
We’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We know that the more diverse we are, the more diverse our ideas will be and when we openly welcome those ideas, our environment is better and our business is stronger.
All Instructure employees are required to successfully pass a background check upon being hired.