Senior Java Backend Engineer
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2024
At Instructure, we believe in the power of people to grow and succeed throughout their lives. Our goal is to amplify that power by creating intuitive products that simplify learning and personal development, facilitate meaningful relationships, and inspire people to go further in their education and careers. We do this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create something awesome. And that's where you come in.
What will you do:
- Understand complex architecture, bring out-of-the-box thinking and solutions to delight our customers.
- Write well-tested, well architected, and easily maintainable code.
- Design and implement scalable and maintainable backend services and APIs using Ruby.
- Collaborate with full stack engineers to design APIs that solve use cases across several clients like mobile, web.
- Optimize the performance and scalability of backend services for high throughput and low latency.
- Identify and address technical debt and performance bottlenecks in the backend codebase.
- Partner with principal engineers and architects in contributing to the overall technical strategy of the organization.
What we look for:
- 5+ years of experience as a backend engineer with increasing levels of responsibility incl. Designing and owning multiple services with low latency and high scalability, preferably in node.js, Ruby, Python, Go, Java.
- Deep understanding of asynchronous programming and event-driven architecture.
- Strong knowledge of databases, including relational databases (e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL) and NoSQL databases (e.g., MongoDB, Redis).
- Experience leading a team of backend engineers and driving technical initiatives.
- Experience with cloud platforms preferably AWS.
- Experience with containerization and orchestration technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes is a plus.
- Experience with microservices architecture is a plus.
Get in on all the awesome at Instructure:
- A fun, friendly, and helpful company culture
- Competitive compensation
- Restricted Stock Unit Program
- Private Medicover healthcare + cafeteria plan/SZEP card
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness motivation through PandaFit
- An extra week off for the whole company every year
- Employee recognition program through Motivosity
- Goal-setting, proactive reviews, and internal training
- Employee assistance program
We’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We know that
the more diverse we are, the more diverse our ideas will be and when we openly welcome those
ideas, our environment is better and our business is stronger.
All Instructure employees are required to successfully pass a background check upon