Director, People and Finance Systems
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
Learn more about our work modes, benefits, and interview process at www.chanzuckerberg.com/careers.
The Director of People and Finance Systems is a key member of the Business Systems team responsible for managing the Workday platform and other supporting systems. Reporting to the Head of Business Systems, this role will build and execute the technology roadmaps balancing the strategic and operational needs of the People and Finance teams.
You will work closely with stakeholders of the People and Finance teams to understand the organizational needs and create technology solutions to meet business goals/objectives. The ideal candidate must be innovative, collaborative, and have a strong technical foundation in Workday and other Financial and HR applications. This hands-on role demands strong coaching, influencing, and inspiring skills as well as best practice business processes knowledge with employee and customer experience focus.
What You'll Do
- Build and execute technology roadmaps. Manage strategic and tactical direction of the Workday platform and integrations to other systems.
- Manage and mentor a team responsible for the design, configuration, development, support, and administration of Workday and other supporting systems.
- Deliver technology solutions with employee/customer experience focus following standards and best practices.
- Manage technology demand through collaboration with businesses and IT stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities to optimize/digitize business processes and partner with People, Finance, IT, and Business Operations teams on implementing solutions.
- Oversee day-to-day operations to meet service-level agreements and improve service delivery.
- Stay current on all new features and functionality provided by Workday and effective management of external partners.
- Select technology solutions and system integrators, negotiate contracts, and manage vendors.
- Drive continuous improvement on existing technology platforms to improve user experience, scalability, security, and quality.
What You'll Bring
- 15+ years of hands-on experience leading Finance & HR technology teams and initiatives (Finance, Financial Planning, Core Human Capital Management, Talent/Performance, Advanced Compensation, Benefits etc.)
- Excellent people manager who inspires, develops, and motivates a team of technology professionals while creating an inclusive culture.
- Strong knowledge of implementing and running Workday platform with integration to other systems.
- Experience leading system assessments and implementations, including project management, issue management, communications, and change management.
- Deep knowledge of HR/Finance strategy, processes (Hire to Retire, Record to Report, Procure to Pay ), and best practices.
- Strong communication, collaboration, and business stakeholder management skills.
- Passion, and a proven track record, for delivering technology solutions that delight customers.
- Proven ability to combine intuition, business judgment, and discretion in decision-making
- Team player with high accountability and a “get things done” attitude.
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $200,000.00 - $300,000.00. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Meta, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!
Something looks off?