Senior Associate, Ventures
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
Learn more about our work modes, benefits, and interview process at www.chanzuckerberg.com/careers.
Through its Ventures team, CZI invests in innovative companies around the world that are developing ground-breaking solutions aligned with CZI’s initiatives. Our portfolio includes leading companies driving impact in education, health, and climate through scalable and sustainable business models. We invest both as a lead and as a co-investor, and collaborate with leading traditional and impact investors to achieve our mission.
We are looking for a Senior Associate to support all aspects of the investment process to achieve our impact and business objectives: leading financial modeling and valuation workstreams, developing investment and impact theses, sourcing and screening new investments for our impact and business criteria, participating in meetings with existing and prospective portfolio companies, monitoring existing investments, and helping prepare materials to keep our leadership informed of our progress.
While this role will involve working across all of our sector areas, we are especially seeking candidates who have particular interest and experience in healthcare and biotechnology to support the growth of our Science investing efforts.
In addition to applying rigorous business and investment analysis to making venture investments, you may also spend a portion of time collaborating across the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative on strategic projects that cut across our impact investing, grant making, engineering and policy work to advance our overall mission.
The successful candidate will be excited to demonstrate their honed business and analytical skills to achieve our impact objectives while working closely with CZI’s other tools and strategies. The ideal candidate will have experience in science and health, but care deeply about impact across education, science, climate, and strong communities. Ideally, you have prior experience in financial and business analysis through venture capital, private equity / growth equity, strategy consulting, or investment banking.
- Assist in the sourcing and screening of new investments by reading / reviewing business plans and pitch decks, participate in meetings with prospective companies, and develop investment and impact theses by assessing market trends to identify compelling businesses that meet our impact and financial screens
- Support due diligence for new investments, including business and industry analysis, building investment models, supporting the preparation of materials for internal discussion, and supporting the team in deal structure, negotiation and investment execution
- Monitor and support existing portfolio investments
- Help prepare materials for portfolio tracking (impact and financial) and internal updates
- Support special projects as they arise around process improvement, new areas for exploration, or portfolio support
- 3-5 years of work experience, including a minimum of 2 years of investment experience.
- An interest in our core sector areas of Education, Science, and Climate.
- Ideally investment banking, investing, consulting or operating experience in life sciences or healthcare, and/or an educational background in biology/science.
- Outstanding business and investment judgment, as well as strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent financial modeling skills and expertise with Microsoft Excel
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfort with ambiguity, as well as an ability to thrive in a fluid and fast paced environment.
- Poise and ability to collaborate with C-level entrepreneurs and fellow investors.
- Impact experience – in professional or meaningful volunteer roles.
- Willingness to travel domestically and internationally (up to 25%).
The Redwood City, CA base pay range for this role is $168,000 - 252,000. New hires are typically hired into the lower portion of the range, enabling employee growth in the range over time. Actual placement in range is based on job-related skills and experience, as evaluated throughout the interview process. Pay ranges outside Redwood City are adjusted based on cost of labor in each respective geographical market. Your recruiter can share more about the specific pay range for your location during the hiring process.
Priscilla Chan, a pediatrician and founder of The Primary School in East Palo Alto, and Mark Zuckerberg, founder and CEO of Meta, announced the creation of CZI shortly after welcoming their first child in 2015 — with the goal of helping build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. Their idea was ambitious but grounded in the belief that by harnessing technology, we can tackle some of the greatest challenges of our time in new ways to help drive faster progress.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!
Something looks off?