Research Scientist Intern
Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
We’re on an ambitious mission to solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease to improving education and addressing the needs of our local communities. Join us to build a better future for everyone!
The mission of the CZI Science Initiative is to support the science and technology that will help make it possible to cure, prevent, or manage all diseases by the end of the century. We support interdisciplinary teams of physicians, biologists, computational scientists, and engineers to expand our understanding of the human body and illness — the very science behind medicine. CZI fosters collaboration between scientists and engineers, develops tools and technologies, and builds support for basic scientific research. Our North Star objective is on understanding the mysteries of the cell, the fundamental building block of life. To that end, our approach is to digitally model cell function through research, advanced development, collaboration, and funding.
Some Science Initiative efforts include:
- Building software such as
- CZ cellxgene - an easy to use corpus of single-cell transcriptomics data.
- CZ ID - a metagenomics platform that delivers insights in infectious disease.
- Funding of
- Single cell biology and the application of technologies that enable multi-omics investigation at the level of cells.
- Imaging and developing tools capable of observing biological processes across spatial scales at the level of tissues, cells, and proteins.
- Doing science through
As a Research Scientist Intern, you will contribute to the development and application of state-of-the-art methods in artificial intelligence and machine learning to solve important problems in the biomedical sciences aligned with CZI’s mission. You will work as part of the Single Cell team to leverage CZI’s large open-source biological datasets to create models that transform our understanding of cells. You will have the opportunity to work closely with teams of scientists, computational biologists, and engineers.
What You'll Do
- Develop innovative machine learning models that enable the analysis and interpretation of complex biology data sets.
- Solve important problems in biomedical sciences through the application of state-of-the-art methods in artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- Implement solutions with respect to complex problems/scientific questions on large scale data sets.
What You'll Bring
- Targeted graduation date December 2024 through Summer 2025
- Pursuing a MS or PhD degree (Computer Science or related field preferred) and will have time remaining in school after your summer internship
- Enjoy working in a highly interactive and cross-functional collaborative environment with a diverse team of colleagues and partners in leading-edge cell biology data-driven research.
- Have experience building and training AI/ML models, ideally but not exclusively to address problems in biology and developing deep learning methods.
- Experience with PyTorch, scikit-learn, and other deep learning frameworks.
- Experience using collaborative notebook-based workflows (e.g., Jupyter, Databricks) for prototyping and knowledge sharing.
- Familiarity with big data technologies
- The ability to work for 12 consecutive weeks during the Summer 2024
Our internship program is designed to give students a meaningful, real-world work experience that complements their academic learnings. While we are not able to offer conversions to full-time positions following our internships, our program is open to a wide range of students at any point in their undergraduate careers that want to develop skills, gain experience, and connect with leaders in their fields.
The Redwood City, CA pay for this role is: $56.74/hour for BS candidates; $60.07/hour for MS candidates; $63.61/hour for PhD candidates.
Onsite work mode is site-based in our office at our HQ in Redwood City, CA.
Flex work mode is open to a hybrid approach, but not open to be fully remote.
Remote work mode is eligible for all three modes (Remote, Flex, or Onsite) available to you at CZI.
The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was founded in 2015 to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease and improving education, to addressing the needs of our local communities. Our mission is to build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone.
CZI is committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse workplace. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission. If you’re interested in this role but your previous experience doesn’t perfectly align with each qualification in the job description, we still encourage you to apply as you may be the perfect fit for this or another role!