Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized as one of BuiltIn's 2023 Best Places to Work in the US and is a Y Combinator 2023 Breakthrough Company and Top Company by Valuation.
As the VP of Data at Checkr, you will be responsible for both the centralized data functions for all of Checkr (data infrastructure, governance, ML, and more) as well as the Product Analytics function, which is the largest departmental data team at Checkr. In addition, you will interface with data organizations in other departments, most frequently the RevOps, CorpEng/BI teams, and finance team. You will own both internal and customer facing data use cases, and be responsible for driving the overall data strategy at Checkr.
What you’ll do
- Guide the technical vision and strategy for an accurate, scalable, usable, and reliable data platform and infrastructure.
- Manage through a hub and spoke data team organization model, creating strong partnerships with RevOps, BI, finance teams, and more.
- Create governing principles for data access, accuracy, freshness, etc for all data organizations at Checkr to follow
- Manage the Data Engineering, ML, and Product Data Science and Product Analytics functions
- Foster an action-bias culture for product innovation and delivery, high performance, transparency, and continuous improvement.
- Provide actionable business insights to product and other cross functional leaders
- Build a diverse, equitable, inclusive culture that helps all members feel like they belong
- Partner with product leadership to influence business strategy through data driven decision making
- Bring customer centricity to your entire data engineering and analytics team
- Hire, retain, and scale a world-class data team
What you bring
- Demonstrated success building and leading vision, strategy, and execution of platform engineering initiatives
- Experience with driving successful platform adoption programs, with the ability to demonstrate the business impact of such initiatives
- Data driven mindset: you know that everything built must be measured to understand its impact on the business and drive your teams to build with that in mind
- Customer centricity: you understand that customer behavior and sentiment must be well understood to effectively build products for them; this can be understood both through data as well as qualitative discussions with customers
- Experience defining and scaling modern products (API, self-service, UX first products)
- Highly effective communicator with good people instincts - able to build trust and work well with a diverse group both internally and externally
- Willingness to lead in a hands-on, high performance environment
- Organized, self-motivated and detail-oriented
- High degree of humility and accountability
- Experience leading, growing, and retaining high performance engineering leadership at Director+ level
What you’ll get
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Up to $25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
One of Checkr’s core values is Transparency. To live by that value, we’ve made the decision to disclose salary ranges in all of our job postings. We use geographic cost of labor as an input to develop ranges for our roles and as such, each location where we hire may have a different range. If this role is remote, we have listed the top to the bottom of the possible range, but we will specify the target range for an exact location when you are selected for a recruiting discussion. For more information on our compensation philosophy, see our website. The salary range for this role is $316,667 to $372,917.
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.