Manager of Emergency Response & Preparedness
EF Education First
Denver, CO, USA · Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, February 13, 2024
Manager of Emergency Response & Preparedness
EF Go Ahead Tours & EF Ultimate Break (EF World Journeys)
Boston, MA or Denver, CO (Remote may be available for non-traditional work hours)
Preferred Start Date: April 1, 2024
Application Deadline: February 25, 2024
EF World Journeys Products (EF Go Ahead Tours and EF Ultimate Break) are looking for a manager to join the dynamic Emergency Response and Preparedness team. This team might not wear capes, but they sure are heroes, making sure every customer receives stellar support on tour, no matter what gets thrown their way.
As a Manager of Emergency Response & Preparedness, you will work closely with the planning and implementation of our crisis management, emergency response and traveler support functions across all EF World Journeys Products. Each day, you will support our team and our travelers through escalated on tour situations, ranging from complex operational issues to medical or mental health crises. As a part of a global Emergency Response team, you’ll work closely with managers in other offices to ensure we provide a consistent, engaging, and equitable employee experience regardless of office location or time zone. In this fast-paced work environment, you will help your team to prioritize traveler needs and draw on your experience in emergency management to independently handle traveler communication and case management for all escalated situations.
Our team approaches every case believing that nothing is impossible – this work requires creative problem-solving, grace under pressure and a commitment to an exceptional customer experience.
- Directly manage customer communication and case-related decisions for highly escalated incidents including but not limited to serious medical/behavioral health issues, situations involving local law enforcement as well as mass incidents, such as natural disasters and civil unrest.
- Ensure team members are adequately trained and provide excellent support to our travelers, both in routine and escalated cases on a daily basis. A focal point will be driving the team’s efficiency, with an emphasis on reaching out to travelers in a timely fashion and resolving situations swiftly with both customer service and budgetary goals in mind.
- Execute all manager-related functions for the team, such as hiring, payroll/administrative tasks and actively providing regular feedback, support and professional development opportunities to the team. In some cases, you may be managing staff in different locations and time zones who are working non-traditional business hours.
- Communicate and work closely with the global On Tour Support management team to maintain continuity in mission, strategy, and approach across offices to create a one-team approach for Emergency Response and Customer Service regardless of office or location.
- Collaborate with the other leaders in our Travel and Operations team to proactively ensure a supportive and cohesive traveler experience through materials creation, policy development and system enhancement.
- Take part in the On Tour Support Management Team’s after hours/weekend staffing rotation in order to manage escalated cases and ensure the resolution of standard customer service issues.
- Off peak responsibilities include working directly with our Emergency Response Teams affiliated with other EF products, assisting our Operations teams with safety and customer-service related projects and collaborating with other customer-facing functions within the organization.
The Candidate: You have an acute attention to detail, stellar judgement and take exceptional pride in being a clear communicator.
- No detail gets past you – Attention-to-detail doesn’t properly describe how keen your eye for detail is. Because you know all the ins-and-outs, you’re the go-to resource in your department for your peers and colleagues.
- Always a step ahead – You don’t take things at face value and are always asking the right questions in anticipation of what could come next.
- Strong and adaptable communication skills – You’re an incredible communicator who understands the importance of clear, concise, and factual written communication and you can easily adapt your style to your audience.
- Calm under pressure – You keep an even keel and maintain a clear head when working under pressure. This job isn’t for the faint of heart but it doesn’t require an adrenaline junkie either, so long as you remain calm, cool, and collected.
- You’re in the driver’s seat – You can independently identify a need, determine the best approach, activate your resources, and get things done!
- 2+ years of experience in team management or
- 3+ years of experience in a role focused on emergency response or escalated customer service issues.
- Proven track record of owning a project or initiative from start to finish and handling sensitive customer communication.
- You’re able to identify, navigate, and de-escalate culturally sensitive situations specific to the US and Canadian customer markets, and have strong conflict resolution skills.
Why You’ll Love Working Here: Perks, Benefits and Earning Potential
Work in our downtown Denver office or our North American Headquarters in Cambridge, MA where you’ll enjoy comprehensive professional development, frequent social programming, office-wide sports leagues and our employee-run “EFinity” groups: Black@EF, LGBTQ+@EF, Latinx+@EF, API@EF, Accessiblility@EF, Jewish@EF, Faith@EF, Indigenous@EF, MENA@EF, Parents@EF, and more.
In addition, you can expect:
In addition, you can expect:
- Paid International Business Travel opportunities
- Eligibility for our Workplace Flexibility Program: our pilot hybrid work model with up to two days working from home per week
- Commitment to professional growth: robust monthly calendar of trainings, workshops and TED Talk style sessions
- Four weeks paid vacation your first year, ten paid holidays, and two floating holidays
- 25% company match on your 401(k)
- Market-leading medical, dental and vision coverage, along with life and disability insurance
- Wellness benefits including onsite and virtual classes run by EF instructors and a yearly fitness reimbursement
- EF Product Discounts (discounts on travel, international language schools, childcare with our Au Pair product and more)
- Dependent care, healthcare and commuter Flex Spending Accounts (FSAs)
- Discounts at local venues and businesses
- Compensation: $80,000-$95,000 commensurate with experience
About EF Education First
At EF we believe that the world is better when people try to understand one another. Since 1965, we have helped millions of people see new places, experience new cultures, and learn new things about the world and about themselves. Our culturally immersive education programs—focused on language, travel, cultural exchange, and academics—turn dreams into international opportunities.
When you join EF, you join a multicultural and diverse community working across 600 schools and offices in 50 countries, all with one shared mission of opening the world through education. Whoever you are, whatever you are passionate about—we welcome you and want you to bring that to work every day. EF is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to inclusion and belonging across race, ethnicity, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, ability, parental status, experience and everything else that makes you unique.
Founded in Sweden in 1965, EF has schools and offices around the world, including hubs in Boston, London, Mexico City, São Paulo, Shanghai, Stockholm, Zürich, and more. Learn more at https://ef.com