Staff A/R Accountant
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with the mission to deliver a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. Our proven learning platform offers free, high-quality supplemental learning content and practice that cover Pre-K - 12th grade and early college core academic subjects, focusing on math and science. We have over 155 million registered learners globally and are committed to improving learning outcomes for students worldwide, focusing on learners in historically under-resourced communities.
Our students, teachers, and parents come from all walks of life, and so do we. Our team includes people from academia, traditional/non-traditional education, big tech companies, and tiny startups. We hire great people from diverse backgrounds and experiences because it makes our company stronger. We value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as necessary to achieve our mission and impact the communities we serve. We know that transforming education starts in-house with learning about ourselves and our colleagues. We strive to be world-class in investing in our people and commit to developing you as a professional.
Khan Academy is looking for a motivated and detail-oriented Staff A/R Accountant to join our Finance Team with a big aspiration to deliver exceptional service to our organization and stakeholders. The Staff A/R Accountant will be responsible for taking care of the order to cash cycle for our customers and the contributions receivable from our donors.
- Manage a full accounts receivable cycle for our donors and customers.
- Prepare, post, verify, and record payments.
- Identify the outstanding invoices and send reminders regarding overdue payments.
- Research any account discrepancies and take appropriate action for resolution.
- Collaborate with the External Relations Team to gather additional information and ensure accounts are up-to-date.
- Answer questions from customers regarding the payments on their accounts.
- Monitor and troubleshoot activities across multiple cloud-based donation platforms.
- Assist with month-end close activities, including reconciliations of accounts such as cash, accounts receivable, and revenue.
- Assist with financial report preparation regarding revenue and receivables.
- As part of a small team, provide backup and support to team members as necessary.
- Contribute to other projects, as needed.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Motivated by the Khan Academy mission “to provide a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere"
- Proven cross-cultural competency skills demonstrating self-awareness, awareness of other, and the ability to adopt inclusive perspectives, attitudes, and behaviors to drive inclusion and belonging throughout the organization
- A college degree with more than three years of relevant work experience in accounting
- Four semesters of college accounting credit
- Working knowledge in Excel functions (sum, lookup, if, sumif, and other basic functions) and an ability to process large data sets in Excel
- Experience with cloud-based accounting software such as Sage Intacct (must) and CRM systems, such as Salesforce (preferred)
- A roll-up-your-sleeves mindset as part of a small and mighty Finance Team
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both verbal and written)
- High level of ethics, integrity, transparency, and trustworthiness
- Strong capability to work remotely
IT’S AN ADDED PLUS IF YOU HAVE…
- Ability to commute to the Mountain View, CA office once a week (preferred)
- Nonprofit sector industry exposure or interest in the sector
YOU’LL BE SUCCESSFUL IF...
- You double and triple-check your work because you know that accurate data is crucial for the Finance Team to operate successfully.
- You are a self-starter. You work just as hard and meticulously by yourself as you do when someone is looking. You can “plan the work” and “work the plan.”
- You can manage tasks simultaneously because you keep things in order. You're timely and you leave breadcrumbs so others could figure out how you got the job done.
- You are a team player and willing to help other teammates.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well! We offer:
- Competitive salaries
- Ample paid time off as needed – Your well-being is a priority.
- Remote-first culture - that caters to your time zone, with open flexibility as needed, at times
- Generous parental leave
- An exceptional team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to do your best
- The chance to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission and the opportunity to work on high-impact products that are already defining the future of education
- Opportunities to connect through affinity, ally, and social groups
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance, including medical, dental, vision, and life
At Khan Academy we are committed to fair and equitable compensation practices, the well-being of our employees, and our Khan community. This belief is why we have built out a robust Total Rewards package that includes competitive base salaries, and extensive benefits and perks to support physical, mental, and financial well-being.
The target salary range for this position is $64k-$80k USD / $80k-$100k CAN. The pay range for this position is a general guideline only. The salary offered will depend on internal pay equity and the candidate’s relevant skills, experience, qualifications, and job market data. Exceptional performers in this role who make an outsized contribution can make well in excess of this range. Additional incentives are provided as part of the complete total rewards package in addition to comprehensive medical and other benefits.
MORE ABOUT US
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- Sal's TED talk from 2023
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
OUR COMPANY VALUES
Live & breathe learners
We deeply understand and empathize with our users. We leverage user insights, research, and experience to build content, products, services, and experiences that our users trust and love. Our success is defined by the success of our learners and educators.
Take a stand
As a company, we have conviction in our aspirational point of view of how education will evolve. The work we do is in service to moving towards that point of view. However, we also listen, learn and flex in the face of new data, and commit to evolving this point of view as the industry and our users evolve.
Embrace diverse perspectives
We are a diverse community. We seek out and embrace a diversity of voices, perspectives and life experiences leading to stronger, more inclusive teams and better outcomes. As individuals, we are committed to bringing up tough topics and leaning into different points of view with curiosity. We actively listen, learn and collaborate to gain a shared understanding. When a decision is made, we commit to moving forward as a united team.
Work responsibly and sustainably
We understand that achieving our audacious mission is a marathon, so we set realistic timelines and we focus on delivery that also links to the bigger picture. As a non-profit, we are supported by the generosity of donors as well as strategic partners, and understand our responsibility to our finite resources. We spend every dollar as though it were our own. We are responsible for the impact we have on the world and to each other. We ensure our team and company stay healthy and financially sustainable.
Bring out the joy
We are committed to making learning a joyful process. This informs what we build for our users and the culture we co-create with our teammates, partners and donors.
Cultivate learning mindset
We believe in the power of growth for learners and for ourselves. We constantly learn and teach to improve our offerings, ourselves, and our organization. We learn from our mistakes and aren’t afraid to fail. We don't let past failures or successes stop us from taking future bold action and achieving our goals.
We insist on high standards and deliver delightful, effective end-to-end experiences that our users can rely on. We choose to focus on fewer things — each of which aligns to our ambitious vision — so we can deliver high-quality experiences that accelerate positive measurable learning with our strategic partners.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.