Senior Data Scientist
Clarivate is looking to expand its data science team with a talented Senior Data Scientist to join us in Barcelona.
If you're passionate about shaping the future of knowledge search and discovery, we'd love to have you on board! By working with us, you'll have the opportunity to develop cutting-edge machine learning and AI models to enhance the user experience of customers in the intellectual property & science domains.
Our ultimate goal? Empowering researchers and professionals to
unlock the full potential of their work, discover new insights and make a lasting impact on the world.
About You – experience, education, skills, and accomplishments
- An advanced degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Technology, or Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 7 years of industry experience as well as 5 years of proven track record in the application of ML and NLP
- Excellent analytical and Python programming skills (Java and R are a plus)
- Good communication & presentation skills: you feel comfortable connecting people, gathering data & information across business unit boundaries and telling & selling the story.
- Ability to test ideas and adapt methods quickly end to end from data extraction to implementation and validation.
It would be great if you also had . . .
- Experience with search engines, classification algorithms, recommendation systems, and relevance evaluation methodologies.
- Experience with ML pipelines and deployment.
- Experience with NLP solutions in the legal domain, experience in the patent domain is a plus.
- A master’s degree or PhD with a focus on AI/ML
What will you be doing in this role?
- Researches and identifies Machine Learning (ML) and Natural Language Processing (NLP) methods and algorithms to solve specific problems to improve user experience on Intellectual Property IP data and products, with a strong focus on the patent domain.
- Implements these methods and devises appropriate test plans to validate and compare the different approaches.
- Identifies new applications of ML and NLP in the context of Clarivate Analytics extensive sets of content and data.
- Explores existing data for insights and recommends additional sources of data for improvements.
Product you will be developing
We are mainly using Python for model and code development, you can use whatever IDE & tools you like best (we have people using PyCharm, Databricks, Jupyter Notebook, …), model deployment is on either AWS or Google Cloud depending on the internal customer’s preference, projects are assigned on a quarterly basis but most span multiple quarters up to a year and a half. Over the past 2 decades, we’ve covered everything from UX experiments, decision support systems, search engines, information extraction, machine learning, generative AI – you name it. So the work you’ll be doing will be quite varied and allow you to expand and apply your knowledge on all the latest developments in the AI/ML/MLP domains.
About the Team
Within a larger Data Science, Search and Content team of about 100 people (of which 40+ are Data Scientists and ML Engineers), we are a team of 8 Data Scientists located in Belgium, Spain & the US that work predominantly on IP data and products (trademarks, patents and case law for both) though we do the occasional side step to other domains as well. We interact with Clarivate’s Product, Sales, Marketing and Operations divisions on a regular basis to make sure we deliver optimal internal and external customer value. With multiple Principal Data Scientists in the team, we can offer excellent support to help you grow in your role. Also, while a lot of work we do originates from customer requests, we also do a fair share of explorative and POC work to help our internal customers understand the business value of the latest technologies.
Hours of Work
This is a permanent full-time position, we work regular CET hours in Europe (and regular EST hours in the US as our 2 US based colleagues are on the East Coast) but we are very flexible with both working hours and working location to accommodate a healthy work-life balance.
What we can offer you:
- A start up culture/working environment combined with all the financial and stability advantages of working for a publicly traded company.
- An opportunity to have a real impact on the global Life Sciences industry.
- 30 working days of vacation
- Volunteering community, with 40 paid hours of volunteering time
- Private Health and Life & Disability insurances.
- Tax-free benefits (Ticket Restaurant scheme, kindergarten, and transport cards)
At Clarivate, we are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all persons with respect to hiring, compensation, promotion, training, and other terms, conditions, and privileges of employment. We comply with applicable laws and regulations governing non-discrimination in all locations.