Staff Platform Engineer, Cloud Networking
Denver, CO, USA · San Francisco, CA, USA · New York, NY, USA
Posted on Friday, January 13, 2023
Inspired by our belief that anyone can learn anything and powered by our own curiosity, we build the smartest tools we can imagine to help students learn.
Quizlet is the popular, global learning platform and app that millions of students, teachers and everyday people use to study any subject imaginable for school, work or as part of their personal interests -- including two-thirds of high school students and half of all college students in the US. Combining cognitive science and machine learning, Quizlet guides students through adaptive study activities to confidently reach their learning goals. We’re on track to become the undisputed leader in user-generated learning content and engagement, at the scale of YouTube.
Valued at $1 billion, Quizlet has raised over $60 million in venture capital from investors including Icon Ventures, Union Square Ventures, General Atlantic, Costanoa Ventures, Owl Ventures, and Altos Ventures.
To serve our global community of learners, our teams tackle lofty technical challenges and design for use cases across cultures and languages. We work hard, act like owners, and collaborate every chance we get. We’re energized by the potential to power more learners through multiple approaches and various tools.
About the Team:
Quizlet’s Platform Engineering team gets big things done. We are a team of curious individuals with experience in software engineering, site reliability, traffic shaping, developer experience, and all things backend. We love to solve scaling challenges as code. We strive to build resilient distributed systems that scale while enabling developer velocity. We build, evolve and operate tools, frameworks, and infrastructure that handles application delivery from source to production.
We run production in Kubernetes and continue to modernize other parts of the infrastructure using cloud-native technologies. We follow the gitOps philosophy to perform continuous delivery. We also follow Infrastructure as Code (IaC) practices to automate all things infrastructure and application delivery. We follow Agile development methodologies.
Quizlet embraces a philosophy of service ownership by empowering service developers to build highly observable, reliable, and resilient services.
About the Role:
On an average day, you are empowered to solve strategic projects or figure out solutions to continue making our networking systems more scalable and resilient. You’ll be working on strategic projects aiming to increase our network insights, resilience, improve observability, and enhance our networking architecture with security at top of mind. You will build, extend or improve existing tools/services to make network deployment, management, and operations super easy.
This is a hybrid role. While you are currently permitted to work remotely in Denver, New York, and the San Francisco Bay Area, you must remain able to work in the office as business needs dictate and as identified by your manager.
In this role, you will:
- Enable Quizlet’s growth by solving scaling and network infrastructure problems
- Improve Quizlet's ability to understand and respond to the performance of our systems when network dependencies are involved by revamping our networking insights and observability
- Use a combination of skills in network engineering, development, configuration management, or others to build and run distributed fault-tolerant software systems, and backend infrastructure
- Be in the thick of solving problems of running systems at scale
- Support production by participating in an on-call rotation
What you bring to the table:
- Expert in setting up global networks and understanding what is required to optimize their operations
- You’re energized by solving unique problems
- Experience with caching and content networks at scale
- You understand what it takes to set up networking for cloud projects for internal and external facing services
- Ability to provide software solutions to networking and traffic management operations
- You understand the intricacies of doing IP Management at scale (keeping security as top of mind) while the packets transverse distributed VPC networks, CloudNAT configurations, and global load balancers
- Systematic problem-solving approach, coupled with good communication skills and a strong sense of ownership
- Ability to work across team boundaries to identify and solve pain points that affect engineer velocity and system resilience
- Proficiency in incident management/response best practices with large scale distributed systems
Bonus points if you have:
- Significant production experience with Kubernetes at very large scale
- Familiarity using service mesh implementations with a proxy (Istio, LinkerD, Consul Connect, Envoy)
- Expertise in building platforms that enable networking services to be delivered via software to enable Product teams to be self sufficient in networking configuration of the services they own
- Familiarity with Hashicorp products like TFCloud and Vault
- Proficiency with Google Cloud Platform
- Exposure to gRPC, distributed tracing, microservices
Compensation, Benefits & Perks:
- Quizlet is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Salary transparency helps to mitigate unfair hiring practices when it comes to discrimination and pay gaps. Total compensation for this role is market competitive, including a starting base salary of $141,000 - $195,000, depending on location and experience, as well as company stock options
- Employees are eligible to participate in the Quizlet stock option program
- Collaborate with your manager and team to create a schedule that ensures a high level of productivity (creating that ideal work/life balance)
- We offer 20 days of paid vacation (and we expect you to take them!)
- Comprehensive health coverage (Anthem, Kaiser), HSA, FSA, dental and vision (Guardian), competitive salary, 401(k), and equity
- Other perks include: Wellness stipend, pet insurance offerings, annual learning and development stipend, commuter subsidy, and 40 hours of annual paid time off to participate in volunteer programs of choice
- In addition, we offer access to mental health resources, fertility education, fertility preservation, IVF, genetic testing, surrogacy, adoption, and more
We strive to make everyone feel comfortable and welcome!
We work to create a holistic interview process, where both Quizlet and candidates have an opportunity to view what it would be like to work together, in exploring a mutually beneficial partnership.
We provide a transparent setting, that gives a comprehensive view of who we are!
We hope you are excited about everything you read so far. We highly encourage you to apply for this position, even if you feel you do not meet all the requirements. Quizlet is always looking for amazing folks that believe in our mission and can contribute to our team in various ways - not merely candidates that fit a certain mold.
We have a bias for action, take initiative, and take pride in delivering results. We make informed decisions whenever possible but are unafraid to take calculated risks on great ideas to promote learning. We embrace challenges and see effort as the path to mastery. We’re constantly seeking opportunities to learn and we embrace curiosity. Quality matters at Quizlet, and we hold the bar high on everything we do.
We treat each other with honesty and respect, encourage vigorous debate, and seek critical feedback. We value diversity, humility, transparency, and collaboration as the best paths to our success — as individuals, as a team, and as a company.
Quizlet’s success as an online learning community depends on a strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are actively working to build a team that is representative of the diverse communities we serve, and an open, inclusive work environment where all employees can thrive. As an equal opportunity employer and a tech company committed to societal change, we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ+ community, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Come join us!
To All Recruiters and Placement Agencies:
At this time Quizlet does not accept unsolicited agency resumes and/or profiles.
Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any Quizlet employee. Quizlet will not pay fees to any third-party agency or firm nor will it be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. All unsolicited resumes received will be considered the property of Quizlet.
See more open positions at Quizlet
Something looks off?