Senior Backend Software Engineer
Posted on Monday, March 20, 2023
Since March 2020, Section has educated 20,000 students across 90+ countries by democratizing access to world-class business education. We're now scaling our operation, with the goal of bringing elite professors and industry leaders, highly engaging content, and an unparalleled professional network to hundreds of thousands of learners worldwide.
As a Senior Backend Software Engineer at Section, your primary concern day in and day out is to build a great learning and engagement platform for our students. The platform has many challenging components like live lecture streaming, impactful video-on-demand, asynchronous communication channels like live chat, and deep search technologies across our different content media.
We have a young engineering team and a young product platform so you will be joining the engineering team at a crucial time and you will have an extensive impact on the success of Section and its students.
This position is a remote position based in the US.
What you'll do:
- Own all aspects of the Section education platform with high autonomy and high impact
- Work closely with leadership
- Design, estimate and implement new and refactored software services on the platform securely, reliably, and at scale
- Take ownership of the quality and design and implementation of the software components you create
- Evaluate and create new product features in collaboration with the product team and engineering leadership. Regularly participates in the creation of the team roadmap and ensuing feedback
- Build out services and systems using well-accepted design patterns to allow for iterative, autonomous development and future scaling
- Maintain a security-first mindset within your work, and lead by example.
- Think about team practices and processes and regularly discuss improvements with your team
- Provide feedback to your teammates in an open, respectful, flexible, empathetic manner.
Who you are:
- 5+ years hands-on experience coding, especially using the stack outlined below
- Proficiency writing and analyzing SQL executing against Postgres
- Experience with large and complex applications that span multiple teams and stakeholders
- Experience reviewing the work of your team
- Very helpful if you've worked at a B2C software company or otherwise have experience building software at a fast-growing startup.
- Very helpful if you have experience with modern application tooling, CI/CD, and cloud architectures
Our technology stack (the tools you’ll use in this job):
- Programming Language: Typescript
- Databases: Postgres, Redis
- Infrastructure: AWS
- Open-source tools: NestJS, GraphQL, Docker
- SaaS integrations: Segment, Stripe, Snowflake
We believe it’s our job to level the playing field
No matter who you are or where you’re from you should have access to a great education and to other talented people.
We believe people learn best from other people
Technology can’t replace humans when it comes to education. We will always make the learning experience personal, human, and connected.
We believe that to build something new, you have to question everything
The status quo is broken and to fix it we have to shake things up. We might not always nail it on the first go, but we’ll never stop trying to be our best.
Who we are
At Section, we believe that different perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences create a whole that is greater than the sum of its parts. A diverse and inclusive team creates a better product.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.
All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need. We encourage candidates of underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
See more open positions at Section4
Something looks off?