HR Business Partner
Varsity Tutors, a Nerdy company, is looking for an HR Business Partner who will assist in overseeing and supporting all aspects of the People function. This role will provide strategic partnership to the team and help implement effective People strategies and plans that empower our team members and align company goals and objectives. The ideal candidate will be comfortable with the ambiguity and thrive in a fast paced, direct impact work environment. The HR Business Partner will take responsibility in the ongoing development and improvement of the entire employee lifecycle, ensuring a highly supportive work environment that allows each employee to perform at the highest level each day in serving our customers.
Nerdy (NYSE: NRDY), the parent company of Varsity Tutors, is a leading platform for live online learning, with a mission to transform the way people learn through technology. The Company’s purpose-built proprietary platform leverages technology, including AI, to connect learners of all ages to experts, delivering superior value on both sides of the network. Nerdy’s comprehensive learning destination provides learning experiences across 3,000+ subjects and multiple formats—including one-on-one instruction, small group classes, large format group classes, and adaptive self-study. Nerdy’s flagship business, Varsity Tutors, is one of the nation’s largest platforms for live online tutoring and classes. Its solutions are available directly to students and consumers, as well as through schools and other institutions. Learn more about Nerdy at https://www.nerdy.com/.
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred
- PHR, SPHR, or SHRM-CP/SCP highly desired
- 5+ years of HR business partner experience, preferably in a fast-paced, rapidly growing organization; startup or high-growth tech company would be a bonus
- People oriented with a strong bias toward delivering results in a rapidly changing environment
- Previous success in influencing without direct authority and leading complex change initiatives
- In-depth knowledge of labor law, HR foundation, and best practices, across all facets of HR
- Knowledge of People systems and databases with agility to learn and adapt to new technology
- Demonstrable experience with developing talent analytics, building stories, and presenting solutions to the business
- Demonstrated ability to architect people strategies along with strong leadership skills
- Ability to work independently and prioritize work
- Excellent active listening, negotiation and presentation skills
- Exceptional analytical, interpersonal, problem-solving, decision-making, and written communication skills
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality
- Understand and appreciate that Nerdy is an apolitical company and that we can have the largest impact if we are united in our focus on helping people learn and not divided or distracted by advancing unrelated causes
- Manage the daily workflow as well as the ongoing performance and development of People team members
- Provides support and guidance to generalists, management, and other staff when complex, specialized, and sensitive questions and issues arise
- Embodies and drives a culture of continuous improvement within the People team
- Develop internal systems and processes and implement within the business
- Embody company culture and maintain high employee engagement
- May be required to administer and execute routine tasks in delicate circumstances such as providing reasonable accommodations, conducting investigations, terminations, etc.
- Serve as the primary point of contact to aligned business partners for all People-related needs and initiatives, with particular focus on critical needs including retention, leader development, and building a culture of accountability.
- Provide strategic [people consulting and coaching, influencing leaders relative to necessary business actions
- Partner with the business in driving next-level performance, using People systems and analytics to understand business issues, trends, and recommend actions
- Build sustainable relationships of trust through open and interactive communication
- Coach and facilitate the business through the appropriate change management steps to ensure successful execution of key business initiatives and projects.
- Provide thought leadership related to strategic delivery of People initiatives, partnering with leaders to communicate and execute
- Focus on working collaboratively across multiple functions to determine how and where improvements can be made to increase performance and employee satisfaction
- Exemplify Varsity Tutors Leadership Principles
- Nurture a positive working environment
- Develop and support diversity and inclusion initiatives across the organization in alignment with our commitment statement
- Additional duties as assigned
- Travel as needed
Varsity Tutors Leadership Principles
Relentless Focus on Customers * Comfort with Ambiguity * Ownership * Simplify * Intellectual Curiosity * Build Teams * Think Big * Insist on High Standards * Bias for Action * Build Trust * Go Deep * Have Conviction * Deliver Results * Are Right, a Lot
- Competitive base salary and company equity (restricted stock units)
- Healthcare Plans (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life)
- 401k Company Matching Plan
- Maternity, Paternal, and Adoption Leave
- Remote Position (anywhere in the U.S.)
- Flexible PTO
- Free Learning Membership for you and your household (1-1 tutoring hours, unlimited use of on-demand services, and access to our online classes)
- Once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help transform how the world learns!
- Fun, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment with plenty of training and a feedback-rich culture
Varsity Tutors is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.