Staff Engineer (International)
About the Role:
We are looking for a Staff Software Engineer (Full-Time Contractor) based in South America to join us on our mission to help people learn! This is a great opportunity to work with an amazing team and drive the technology of learning products and platforms. We operate in a highly collaborative environment with Product and Design to build experiences that matter to our customers. At Varsity Tutors, engineers do not just write code; they actively participate in the conversation on what and how to build the systems and solutions that matter to our customers. If you love your customers as much as we do, we'd love to hear from you.
We use big data and machine learning, taking into account hundreds of variables, including Learner and Expert attributes, adaptive diagnostic assessments, and data from past learning experiences. But really, we are just getting started and have so much more headroom to innovate. You will architect scalable software solutions, understand and implement best practices, and create technology that is highly performant and extensible.
The Staff Engineer will assume a dual role as a technical leader and a visionary for our highly complex and high performant systems. In this capacity, they will not only provide technical guidance and mentorship to the team but also play a pivotal role in shaping and driving the overarching vision of our system, aimed at enhancing the experience for our tutors and optimizing our tutor-supply chain.
- Technical Leadership: Serve as the technical point of reference for the squad and broader engineering team, ensuring best practices and architectural standards are upheld.
- Solution Design: Lead the design and architectural discussions, making pivotal decisions on technologies, frameworks, and design patterns.
- Code Quality: Advocate for and ensure the delivery of high-quality, maintainable, and scalable code. Conduct regular code reviews and provide mentorship to team members.
- Collaboration: Work closely with product managers, designers, and other stakeholders to understand requirements, provide technical insights, and ensure the timely delivery of features.
- Strategy and Vision: Contribute to the engineering department's strategy and vision, bringing innovative ideas to improve our tutor-facing and tutor-supply platforms.
- Problem Solving: Address complex technical challenges, innovate solutions, and optimize existing systems for scalability and performance.
- Team Development: Mentor and develop team members, helping them to grow in their technical roles and careers.
This position is a full-time remote opportunity. (We've been remote friendly for years, and that isn't going away).
Nerdy (NYSE: NRDY), the parent company of Varsity Tutors, is a leading platform for live online learning, with a mission to transform the way people learn through technology. The Company’s purpose-built proprietary platform leverages technology, including Machine Learning and AI (Nerdy AI Learning Products - Press Release), to connect learners of all ages to experts, delivering superior value on both sides of the network. Nerdy’s comprehensive learning destination provides learning experiences across 3,000+ subjects and multiple formats—including one-on-one instruction, small group classes, large format group classes, on-demand study support, and adaptive self-study. Nerdy’s flagship business, Varsity Tutors, is one of the nation’s largest platforms for live online tutoring and classes. Its solutions are available directly to students and consumers, as well as through schools and other institutions. Learn more about Nerdy at https://www.nerdy.com/.
- Minimum of 7 years of software engineering experience with a proven track record of working on complex systems.
- In-depth knowledge of modern software engineering practices, design patterns, and architectures.
- Strong expertise in two or more web or web services technology stacks and a growth mindset to learn new technology stacks to address the business problems at hand. Aptitude to quickly learn new languages and technologies as necessary.
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts clearly to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in collaborating with multidisciplinary teams.
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills.
- A strong owner willing to roll up their sleeves. This role includes coding and reviewing the code of others.
- Ability to implement customer-facing solutions that solve the customers’ true needs.
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary.
- Remote position.
- Hackfest! (Multiple times per year).
- Free Learning Membership for you and your household (1-1 tutoring hours, unlimited use of on-demand services, and access to our online classes).
- A once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to help transform how the world learns!
- A fun, collaborative, and team-oriented work environment with plenty of training and a feedback-rich culture.